SC Gov. McMaster to spend $20M on COVID-19 education aid

Nearly a month after South Carolina’s high court rejected a second attempt by Gov. Henry McMaster to spend federal COVID-19 money on private schools, the governor announced new plans Tuesday to redirect nearly $20 million of that cash toward other educational needs.

What he called “targeted grants,” McMaster said he will send $8 million to the state’s Technical College System to job-train 3,100 South Carolinians in areas that including computer and information technology, criminal justice and health care. Another $7 million will be given to South Carolina’s Department of Education and the state’s First Steps program to expand in-person and full-day four-year-old kindergarten day and summer programs for children whose families meet or fall below the federal poverty threshold of 185{c25493dcd731343503a084f08c3848bd69f9f2f05db01633325a3fd40d9cc7a1} or who are eligible for Medicaid benefits.

Another nearly $5 million of the total $19.9 million will be sent to the state’s child-welfare agency to provide education services and tutoring for 600 of the state’s foster care children and other children living in the state’s 74 group homes.

“This is a good day for education and workforce in South Carolina,” said McMaster in his first in-person press conference since he entered quarantined after his positive COVID-19 diagnosis Christmas week.

The money stems from McMaster’s Governor’s Emergency Education Relief, or GEER account — a federal point of money that runs through the U.S. Department of Education for governors to spend at their discretion on education needs in their states.

The Tuesday announcement caps a months-long legal tangle between McMaster and the courts after the governor tried to spend $32 million out of the total $48.5 million account on COVID-19 relief for private schools and millions more on other private colleges, including $2.4 million historically Black universities.

The state Supreme Court twice rejected that attempt, a decision McMaster Tuesday called again disappointing.

“We are disappointed in that decision and don’t agree with it, nonetheless that is the decision,” McMaster said.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Follow more of our reporting on Coronavirus in South Carolina

See all stories

Related stories from The State in Columbia SC

Profile Image of Maayan Schechter

Maayan Schechter (My-yahn Schek-ter) has covered the S.C. State House and politics for The State since 2017. She grew up in Atlanta, Ga. and graduated from the University of North Carolina-Asheville in 2013. She previously worked at the Aiken Standard and the Greenville News. She has won reporting awards in South Carolina.
Support my work with a digital subscription

Next Post

High number of virus cases prompt Erie School District to stay online

Tue Jan 5 , 2021
Still wary about the trajectory of positive COVID-19 cases in Erie County, and following the recommendations of state officials, the Erie School District is postponing the start of in-person classes for elementary school students until at least through Jan. 29. The district’s elementary school students had been scheduled to start hybrid instruction — […]