Boulder Valley School District changed its coronavirus dashboard over the weekend to streamline cases into one category and to add quarantine numbers, while Boulder County Public Health reported 15 new cases but no new deaths.
The school district is now reporting all cases as “active cases” while it previously divided cases into postive, probable, symptomatic and pending cases categories. The district also is reporting the number of quarantines at each school, broken down between students and staff, and the number of “inactive” or resolved cases.
In a statement Monday, Boulder Valley School District spokesman Randy Barber said, “really nothing has changed except that we are no longer reporting the code regarding whether or not a case is due to a positive test, or symptomatic pending test.” He also said the change better aligns BVSD with other school districts in their reporting and “we recognized that our partners in public health treat those cases the same, so there was no benefit to reporting them differently.”
According to the updated metrics explanation on the district dashboard, only cases resulting in quarantines, which can include positive, probable, symptomatic and pending tests results, will be included in the daily updates on its dashboard. It also stated not all student or staff COVID-19 cases will be reported on the dashboard, unless quarantines are issued.
Quarantines tracked on the dashboard will only include those due to “exposures in school,” not those from contacts, the website states.
Inactive cases include cases in which the quarantine periods have ended and does not include cases of individuals who were symptomatic but then tested negative. The district will also include a cumulative count of inactive cases on its dashboard, which is backdated to Jan. 1.
Using its new reporting metrics, the district on Monday reported 16 positive cases, 9 inactive (resolved) cases since Jan. 1, as well as 228 students and 27 staff members currently in quarantine.
According to the Boulder Valley School District dashboard, two quarantines ended Monday, which affected 29 students and one staff member. Another 10 quarantines affecting 158 students and 22 staff members will end Tuesday, while three quarantines affecting 17 students and one staff member will end on Sunday and one quarantine affecting 24 students and three staff members will end next Monday.
Boulder County Public Health reported on its COVID-19 dashboard 15 new cases Monday, which brought its case total to 16,390. There also have been 440 people hospitalized since the pandemic began. To date, 207 residents have died with COVID-19, of whom 145 were 75 or older. Thirty-five residents between 65 to 74 have died, 16 residents aged 55 to 64 have died and five residents between 45 to 54 have died according to data updated by the county on Thursday.
There have been 13,308 Boulder County residents who have received one vaccine dose and 2,159 residents who have been fully vaccinated. The county typically updates vaccine data and county infection rates for local municipalities on Mondays, but did not Monday, in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. However an update is expected Tuesday.
The University of Colorado Boulder did not update its dashboard Monday.
The St. Vrain Valley School District did not update its dashboard Monday due to the holiday and still reports 44 active cases, split between 34 students and 10 staff. The district has seen a cumulative 445 student cases and 194 staff cases, totaling 639. However, the school district did update its active quarantines Friday that reported there were 323 students and 36 staff currently in quarantine.
Statewide, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment reported there are 376,171 cases. There have been 5,386 deaths among cases, and of those, there have been 4,502 deaths because of COVID-19. There have been 20,717 people hospitalized. Of Colorado’s more than 5.7 million people, 2,301,784 people have been tested.
The department also started tracking the number of cases of the new variant, B.1.1.7, on its dashboard, noting one new case for a total of six. CDPHE did not respond to questions asking where the newest case was detected in time for publication on Monday.
Staff Writer Amy Bounds contributed to this report.
Vaccines administered in Boulder County
*Boulder County Public Health updates vaccination data on Monday’s and Thursday’s and is expected to update vaccines Tuesday due to holiday closures.
- 13,308 received one dose
- 2,159 received both dosages
Boulder Valley School District active cases
*BVSD updated metrics on its dashboard over the weekend; resolved cases and current quarantines were detected since Jan. 1.
BVSD elementary schools
- Alicia Sanchez: 1 active case; 16 students and 1 staff quarantined; 1 resolved case
- Bear Creek: 2 active cases; 33 students and 1 staff quarantined
- Coal Creek: 1 active case; 21 students quarantined
- Columbine: 1 active case
- Douglass: 1 resolved case
- Eisenhower: 1 active case; 13 students and 1 staff quarantined
- Eldorado: 1 active case; 21 students and 1 staff quarantined
- Fireside: 1 active case; 17 students and 1 staff quarantined
- Louisville: 1 active case; 24 students and 4 staff quarantined; 1 resolved case
- Meadowlark: 1 active case
- Pioneer: 3 resolved cases
- Superior: 1 active case; 29 students and 1 staff quarantined
- University Hill: 2 active cases; 49 students and 6 staff quarantined
- Whittier: 1 active case
BVSD middle schools
- Culinary Center: 1 resolved case
- Transportation: 1 active case; 5 staff quarantined
- Early Connections: 1 active case; 5 students and 6 staff quarantined; 1 resolved case
St. Vrain Valley School District active quarantines
*Active COVID cases not available Monday due to Martin Luther King Jr. Day
SVVSD elementary schools
- Alpine: 22 students, 2 staff
- Black Rock: 1 student
- Blue Mountain: 14 students, 2 staff
- Burlington: 1 student
- Centennial: 39 students, 1 staff
- Central: 20 students, 2 staff
- Columbine: 1 student
- Erie: 2 staff
- Fall River: 4 students, 2 staff
- Grand View: 57 students, 2 staff
- Hygiene: 1 student, 1 staff
- Indian Peaks: 1 student
- Legacy: 18 students
- Longmont Estates: 3 students
- Main street: 1 student
- Mead: 1 staff
- Mountain View: 4 students
- Niwot: 1 student
- Prairie Ridge: 36 students, 4 staff
- Red Hawk: 1 student
- Rocky Mountain: 1 student
- Sanborn: 2 students
- Soaring Heights: 2 students, 1 staff
- thunder Valley: 4 students, 1 staff
- Timberline: 4 students
SVVSD middle schools
- Altona: 5 students
- Coal Ridge: 24 students
- Erie: 4 students
- Longs Peak: 2 students
- Lyons: 3 students
- Mead: 1 student
- Sunset: 2 students
- Trail Ridge: 4 students
- Westview: 3 students, 1 staff
SVVSD high schools
- Erie: 2 students, 5 staff
- Frederick: 1 student, 2 staff
- Longmont: 2 students
- Mead: 3 students
- Olde Columbine: 1 student
- Silber Creek: 4 students
- Skyline: 2 students, 1 staff
SVVSD other campuses
- LaunchED Virtual Academy: 2 students
- Spark! Discovery Preschool: 20 students, 2 staff
- Central Administration: 4 staff